Saturday, April 25, 2020

Where Have All the Babes Gone?

Between 2016 and 2018, Historical Babes filled a writing hole in my life. At the time I was between projects. My YA historical novel about Iraqi Jews was collecting virtual dust while I searched for a publisher. Meanwhile, my attempts to write science fiction and fantasy novels were all floundering. I needed a way to keep myself writing on a regular basis in order to get my mojo back. This blog did the trick.
Not only did this blog challenge me to write on a (semi) regular basis, but I also learned about a wide array of topics previously unknown to me. My research helped me develop a critical historical perspective that continues to inspire the lessons I teach in my day job as a high school history teacher. Despite all the good this blog did me, a few things happened that caused my commitment to waver.
First, I was spending so much more time researching than I had originally planned and the time required for each post became more than I was willing to spend. You know, sometimes after teaching history all day, coming home to do historical research is not an appealing proposition.
Second, I learned that Jason Porath, creator of Rejected Princesses, was covering the same territory with a lot more regularity and flare than I could muster.  
Third, and most importantly, I got back into writing my novels! Since I stopped posting for Historical Babes, I have embarked on serious revisions of my historical novel (the one about the Iraqi Jews) and will soon re-start my submission process. I’ve learned a lot about how to write and how to make writing fit into my life. I’ve gotten back on the horse of writing new science fiction and fantasy projects. Historical Babes served a critical role in my writing career – but it is a purpose I no longer need it to serve.
Does this mean I will never write another post again? Not necessarily. But for now, my writing energies are best spent on other projects.
The babes are still out there and are increasingly visible if you know where to look. (Some of my favorite places to learn about them are the aforementioned Rejected Princesses and the podcast Stuff You Missed in History Class.) Someday, perhaps, we will live in a world where we won’t need special forums to celebrate the historical contributions of women and people of color because their stories will be given their due in the heart of the historical narrative. Someday, perhaps, their stories will be as well-known and respected as the stories of the white men who have dominated for the past several centuries. The more we seek out and share these stories, the closer we get to that world.
I hope to see you all there.

No comments:

Post a Comment